However, since they don't have to eat at the regular dinner time (6p) I decided to make a family favorite. I've been making this particular recipe my entire married life and it's one of those fool-proof recipes. Don't you love those? I've tried making things before and my Mother has made things from magazines before, only to go back to the tried-and-true recipes that we know to be faithful and fool-proof, not to mention good.
Hominy Grits Cheese Casserole
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Bring to boil:
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits (I use Quaker brand)
- 3 cups milk (I use skim)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 beaten large eggs
- 3/4ths cup milk (again, skim)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (the recipe actually calls for 1 cup, but 2 is MUCH better)
- 1/2 cup butter (I only add in one teaspoon of butter, I've made it every whichaway and you really don't need a ton of butter, plus it just makes it worse on your figure, go figure!)
- 1/4 cup chopped chives (I don't add these in because my children don't like them)
The recipe calls for a buttered baking dish, but I promise, I never butter my dish and it's easy to get out, however I use a glass baking dish (pyrex type). No need for all that butter.
So there you have it. I hope you try it and you enjoy one of our family favorites.
Tomorrow I do not plan on working. There's just no point in it really. I sit down at my table and in two shakes I have three children in there talking to me and telling me they need help with snow gear. Today I spent a lot of time going upstairs and downstairs. So tomorrow I plan on cleaning my house, maybe doing some sewing and possibly painting a wall where there seems to be an abundance of tiny fingerprints that won't come off with cleaner. Yeah. That's my plan.
Bare with me. ::sigh::