my shoppe              contact me              newsletter              my studio              about lampwork

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Help by Katherine Stockett

Last week I finished The Help by Katherine Stockett. I have so much emotion when it comes to this book, that I don't exactly know where to begin.

The characters were brilliantly written and since I did the audio version, I have to tell you how beautiful the narrators were. If given the choice, I would easily choose the audio over the hardcover any day. It was like stepping into an old radio show, only so much better since there was no laugh-track to annoy you in the background. Nothing like that. It was divine.

Since beginning the book I have found out how many others have read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sometimes when I read a book I get too involved, too wrapped up in the story and find myself worrying over things I cannot control. It was the case in this book. But really? Isn't that the best part of a book when you find yourself lost in it's words and the desire to keep the characters with you forever begins to grow? I think it is. When I talk to my Mother about my books, I think she feels that I'm silly to put so much emotional energy into a book. I can remember being a young girl and watching The Parent Trap over and over again, simply to learn each line, to know each expression and to have the ability to repeat the phrases in daily talk because? Because that is just the most awesomeness thing, that's why. :)

I found out that a new friend is in the middle of The Help and she's loving every minute. I wish I were her... the not knowing of it? The i-have-no-clue-how-this-is-going-to-turn-out excitement?

If you want to read what The Help is about, you can go here to find out more. :) Give it a try. Don't be like me who stuck her nose up to it simply because it wasn't about fluff and nonsense (ie: Twilight and Sookie Stackhouse) but really drink it in, the people will come alive and you will enjoy every word. I promise.

On Katherine's site has a clip of the audio version, please take a listen. You'll fall in love with Minny...she's a tough-natured but soft-at-heart woman (think Oprah in The Color Purple). GO HERE!  When you listen to the book, please know that the character, Ceila, is as kind as they come and wants desperately to be friends with Minny. She is sweet and precious. I fell in love with them all. (which is why I'm listening to it again...)

xoxo




ps: what am i reading now? It's called South of Broad by Pat Conroy

1 comment:

Pretty Things said...

I'm looking forward to reading this one!