my shoppe              contact me              newsletter              my studio              about lampwork

Monday, February 27, 2012

my favorite chicken salad {recipe}

this is my favorite chicken salad recipe, taken from my two favorite chicken salad recipes. lol my mom's and a favorite bistro i love to go to with girlfriends. so here goes... i hope you love it.



My Favorite Chicken Salad Recipe

Ingredients

6 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts {or 8 smallish ones}
2 chicken bouillon cubes {i use Knorr, but any will do}
1 onion, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste

{boil chicken with onion and S & P, when finished, remove from pot and chop in small bite-size pieces and set aside -- it is not necessary to keep the onion, you just need the chicken}

1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup celery, diced
6 smallish green onions, chopped
1 Fuji apple (leave skin on), chopped
3 small golden delicious apples, peeled and chopped
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 tsp celery seeds
1 cup Daisy sour cream
1 cup Hellman's mayonnaise


To garnish

Salt
Fresh cracked pepper
leaf lettuce
swiss cheese, sliced
1 pound thick-slice bacon, nicely cooked {don't burn}
3 tomatoes, sliced
Croissants {small} from your bakery section of your grocery store {this recipe will make 12}
Wavy potato chips and apples for garnish

Recipe

After cooking your chicken, chopping, dicing and preparing all your ingredients, add everything to a large mixing bowl. Stir, making a nice coating with your salad. Give it a taste, if you think it needs something extra, experiment but not too much, it can quickly get out of hand. After I have mixed everything I always add my salt and cracked pepper. Taste again. If it needs a bit of sweet, add some more sweet relish, but I've made it this way several times without adding anything extra and the recipe always comes out the same, perfectly. i hope it does for you too.

Even though my photo does not show the swiss cheese, it makes a nice addition. My kids didn't want cheese on theirs this time so my pictures don't reflect what it usually looks like. With the bacon, cheese, tomato and lettuce added to the croissant and salad, it's a gorgeous presentation. We have four kids and all but one love it so I figure that's pretty good, right?

side note:  it's important to use Daisy and Hellman's brand when making this recipe. i've tried it with other brands and it NEVER turns out the same. so stick with these two. you can also use Granny Smith in place of the Fuji, but it will be more tart, and that might not be the thing you're going after, we like it both ways. I've also added green or red grapes before but it makes it very wet and i don't care for that. it's up to you.


 i love fresh apples...


 thick, crunchy bacon and vine tomatoes... lovely


You're ready to eat! Enjoy!

 

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hi I’m Heather! Please email me when you get a chance! HeatherVonsj(at)gmail(dot)com