my shoppe              contact me              newsletter              my studio              about lampwork

Saturday, February 25, 2012

my mom's taco salad recipe

this is my mom's recipe. years ago my folks would make this for the Honeybee Festival in the town where i grew up. their line of customers would be down the street, waiting patiently for their taco salad bowl. those were great memories...and my parents loved every minute. their recipe is still the best around.

many of my high school friends continue to ask me if they can get the recipe, so i thought i'd stick it here and put it on pinterest.



My Mom's Taco Salad Recipe


Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 medium can of kidney beans, drained

1 bag of plain tortilla chips, crushed
3 large tomatoes, diced
1 head of lettuce, chopped
2 (6oz) kraft mild cheddar cheese, grated (or you might want more, we like extra cheese)

1 3/4 cup miracle whip (do NOT use anything else, no store brands etc.)
3/4 cup sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup heinz ketchup
2/3 cup granulated sugar

Directions

brown ground chuck then drain. follow packet directions on taco seasoning. add kidney beans and simmer until ready to mix salad and serve. place lettuce, tomatoes and chips into large bowl.

mix miracle whip, relish, ketchup and sugar until completely blended and sugar is dissolved.

pour salad dressing over lettuce, tomatoes and chips and toss until nicely coated. add ground beef and beans mixture. toss gently but thoroughly. top with grated cheese. serve immediately.

PERSONAL NOTES: 


DO NOT USE BOTTLED thousand island dressing. IT WILL NOT TASTE the same. Really. I promise. It'll be icky. So use the recipe i've given you here. :)

this salad must be mixed at time of serving. if you're taking it somewhere or having folks over for dinner, have everything separated and then toss when they are ready to eat, otherwise it will wilt and not be as wonderful as it should be.

No comments: